Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Chapter 15: On the Niggler

In which we meet the strange thingy's antagonist.

The human mind is actually even more complicated than I thought. I saw an additional component, an annoying inner critic who comments and criticizes pretty much anything the human does - according to some strange criteria. Let's call it the "Niggler":


The Niggler is kind of an antagonist of the Thingy. The poor mind is under attack from both sides. It's like having two voices inside your head, one always talking about what it wants you to do, and the other one always observing and criticising what you're doing. It must be quite annoying.

The criteria the Niggler applies are not clear to me, they seem to depend on the human - I must find out more about this. Sometimes it seems to have something to do with religious or ethical commandmends, somethings it's something completely different, like "save money", "be successful" or "slenderise". Some people even seem to thing that saving money or being successful is somewhat ethical. Strange.

As a sidenote, I think I remember having read some human psychologists' writings concerning the Thingy, the Mind and the Niggler. If I remember well, they call it the "It", "Ego" and "Über-ego", or something like this. But I'm not quite sure this is the same thing, so let's stick with Thingy, Mind and Niggler.

No comments:

Post a Comment