Saturday, August 15, 2009

Chapter 5: On the Library

In which I meet something that can't possibly exist: A gentle demon.

I'm somewhat worried. In some days we are to be sent to the physical world, the so-called "reality", yet nobody cares. Corporate wants us to be prepared for the things to come, but didn't even replace the teacher.

So I went to the public library in order to find out for myself what this "reality" is. When I looked through the endless shelves of dusty books, something unusual happened, something that never happened to me before: Somebody asked me whether I need help. The person who asked was a librarian, an old demon with a broken left horn. Naturally, I assumed there was a price to pay, somewhat he wanted in exchange, but he denied, he just wanted to help.

Now that was one strange behaviour. Demons just aren't selfless. Besides being a severe heresy, selflessness is just stupid. Life is a zero-zum game, what one demon gains, another demon loses. So why would anyone let another demon gain something ? It's illogical. Unless, of course, this librarian has some very selfish reasons for this seemingly selfless behaviour. Maybe a bet or something. Of course I was suspicious, but he insisted that he won't claim any payment later - so declining his offer to help seemed almost as stupid to me than the offer itself.

I told him that I wanted to learn about reality. "I see... Junior tempter ?" he asked. "Yes." - "I was a tempter when I was younger... 17th century France... Had some great successes at the court of Versailles... Well, I guess you understant nothing of what I'm telling you. I will get you some basic works about Reality, from both humans and demons. Platon, Andromalius, Gremory..." He limped away and came back with some books. "Here, read this. If you have questions, just ask me."

Well, I think it will take a while to read all those.

No comments:

Post a Comment